Having your first kid in kindergarten presents a TON of challenges – the least of which is all the germs they seem to bring home, no matter how many admonitions to “wash your hands”, “keep your hands out of your mouth” and “stay away from the nasal-dripping kid”. We have spent the weekend nursing ourselves better, and I decided to share the stuff that gets me thru the sickies:
- Vicks Baby Rub– regular vicks is kind of strong, but my guys don’t seem to mind this stuff. I love the smell – it has more of a lavender/rosemary scent than regular vicks, and they don’t gag the whole time I put it on.
- Hot Spiced cider – we have been living on this and Chicken Soup all weekend. I get the Martinelli’s Apple juice, and add a couple teaspoons of mulling spice mix, heat in a saucepan or microwave.
- Chocolate – Crazy as it sounds, chocolate has a chemical that helps suppress coughing. A mug of REAL hot chocolate before bed and we have all been sleeping pretty well.
- Apple Cider Vinegar – if you can handle it – I barely can – one ounce of apple cider vinegar (organic, unfiltered – I use Bragg’s) 3 times a day will not cure your cold, but definitely shorten it’s duration.
- Warm Jammie Pants – ’nuff said. Although I got a couple of REALLY cute pairs at Target – these and these. Cute, huh?
- Books – lots of books. I devoured both “Twilight” and “New Moon” by Stephanie Meyer. AND I am almost done with Jen Lancaster’s “Such a Pretty Fat” – It’s great the books you can catch up on when you’re off the computer all weekend! 😉
Needless to say I have had to ride out this cold without my beloved Advil Cold & Sinus, so Nyquil and DayQuil have had to pick up the slack – not well I might add, but that and a little sunshine are working wonders!
PS – Is it just me, or do you get your “monthly visitor” 😉 when you are sick? Is there some hormone/immune system connection? It just never fails that a day or 2 into any illness, Boom – there it is! As if I NEEDED more to deal with…