I occasionally field questions about hair & makeup, having done it for – yikes! – 17 years, so I thought I would share some secrets and tips…
1. Yes, salon products are better than drugstore. BUT there are a couple of non-salon brands that are as good. Vive by L’oreal for one, which is virtually the same formula at Kerast@sse, but it’s $4 a bottle, instead of $20.
2. PLEASE don’t show up sick to your hair appointment – don’t make me pull out the face masks! 😉
3. Don’t forget your stylist at Christmas! Even a little baggie of homemade cookies or a $5 starbucks card makes us feel special.
4. Taking pictures to your stylist of styles you like is great…but listen when she says your big ol curly head of hair isn’t going to look like a sleek bob…
5. It’s a curling iron, NOT a magic wand.
6. Hair DOES fall out in gobs after you have a baby, and it WILL grow back.
7. Want your stylist to LOVE you? Tell your friends about him/her. Chances are they’ll reward you later on.
8. Two words you should NEVER say to a stylist (unless you are VERY brave) – “Surprise me!”
9. Did I mention stylists LOVE goodies?!?
10. Many stylists are open to bartering. I used to get my oil changed, my business cards printed, perfume testers, car washes, free advertising, all from clients. It never hurts to ask!
11. Even in light of the above, remember that this IS a business, and just as you wouldn’t accept your boss asking you to take a cut in pay, don’t ask to pay less just because. If you can’t afford to come, give us the opportunity to offer a solution.
12. We are creative sensitive souls, and it hurts us to see you go , for whatever reason. Please be gentle. 😉
13. Dont forget to bring us ALL the good gossip. And the occasional starbucks doesn’t hurt either!
Big dood’s 5th (gah!) Birthday is this weekend…will update from the zoo!