posted by Ali at Divine Domesticity
I am in love with these tender little scones. Chocolate and orange just go together in my book. One word of warning: I found the scones themselves to be infinitely better when served fresh, so make them as close as you can to your planned serving time.
Mini Chocolate Chip Orange Scones
Makes 8 scones or 16 mini scones
For the Scones:
2 cups AP flour
1/3 cup granulated sugar
2 tsp. baking powder
1/2 tsp. salt
1.2 cup unsalted butter, chilled
2 large eggs
1/4 cup orange juice
1 tsp. vanilla extract
1 tsp. grated orange peel
3/4 cup miniature semisweet chocolate chips (I used regular chocolate chips, which worked great)
Optional glaze: To give your scone a shiny top, brush either milk, half and half or 1 egg white mixed with 1/2 tsp. water
1. Preheat oven to 425 f degrees. Butter a 9 inch diameter circle in the center of a baking sheet. If using a mini scone pan, spray with Pam with Flour.
2. In a large bowl, stir together the flour, sugar, baking powder, and salt. Cut the butter into small cubes and distribute them over the flour mixture. With a pastry blender, cut in the butter until the mixture resembles coarse crumbs. In a small bowl, stir together the eggs, orange juice, vanilla, and orange peel. Add the egg mixture to the flour mixture and stir to combine. The dough will be sticky. With lightly floured hands, knead in the chocolate chips until they are evenly distributed.
3. With lightly floured hands, pat the dough into an 8 inch diameter circle in the center of the prepared baking sheet. If using a mini scone pan, using a silpat mat, spread the dough out with your hands into a 9×9 inch square. Cut into equal quarters. Then, cut those 4 squares diagonally across. Cut again, in opposite direction.
4. You should have 16 adorable little triangles now! If desired, brush the glaze mixture (see above) over the top and sides of the dough. If using mini scone pan, only brush the tops of your scones with the glaze. With a serrated knife, cut into 8 wedges. Bake for 20 to 25 minutes, or until a cake tester or toothpick inserted into the center of a scone comes out clean. If using a mini scone pan, bake for approx. 17 minutes, checking at 15 minutes to see if done.
5. Remove the baking sheet to a wire rack and cool for 10 minutes. Serve warm, or cool completely and store in an airtight container. These scones freeze well.
Chocolate Cream Cheese Spread
Makes approx 1 cup
3 Tbsp. unsalted butter
1 ounce bittersweet chocolate (I used Valrhone Bittersweet)
3 ounces cream cheese, softened
1/4 cup confectioners’ sugar
1/4 tsp. vanilla extract
2 Tbsp. sour cream
1. Melt the butter and chocolate in the microwave (about 30 seconds). Stir until thoroughly combined. Cool for 5 minutes. In a small bowl, with a fork, beat the cream cheese until smooth. Beat in the sugar and vanilla. Gradually beat in the chocolate mixture until blended. Stir in the sour cream.
2. Cover and refrigerate until slightly firm. To serve, let stand for 5 minutes at room temperature to soften.
Recipes courtesy of Simply Scones – Quick and Easy Recipes for More Than 70 Delicious Scones and Spreads